Thursday, June 18, 2009

Start of Week 3!

Habari asabuhi! (how are you this morning?!)
After a long weekend it was definitely good to sleep in a little on monday before going back to teach! It is "study for national exams week" now so we dont get as much fun time with kids as we would hope : ( but thats okay! Monday at school was pretty laid back....not much happening and the school seemed pretty dead since only our Standard 4 and 7 kids are still in school. We taught for about an hour that morning and then left because we couldnt take the kids to play that day. It was okay though because I got to go run some errands around town! I went to pick up my clothes from the dress maker and they are too cool! Can't wait to wear them when I get home...and then went with Brandon and Justin over to the Old Market to see what kind of cool statues and paitings they had! Found dad a fathers day gift I hope he likes!!! We had lunch that afternoon and then Mama Thea had a group discussion with us on Gender and Development in Africa...It was really interesting to see how different and the same in some ways things between men and women are in Tanzania! In the late afternoon I took a quick nap and then tried a little packing just to see if I would need to buy another suitcase to fit all of my purchases...If I did then I was going to have to run down to the monday market and try to find a suitcase...but luckily I dont think I'll need one! Dinner that evening was good with African style Macaroni and Cheese and then I went to bed.
Tuesday morning we had a blast with the kids playing BINGO and taking pictures! We taught for almost 2 hours! At the end of class, one of my students told me my bookbag was wet....come to find out, my bug spray with DEET in it had exploded in my bag (which contained my computer, camera, etc. in it) and the DEET melted my charger because it was plastic : ( ... Luckily nothing else was messed up! After placement, we went to lunch and then I spent the afternoon with the guys at the art centre just hanging out listening to music and helping Niola paint his new painting! I told him if I helped then I got to sign my name on the bottom! But he just laughed at me LOL! We had dinner at the main house that night and then went and met all the art centre guys at Hillside bar for a few drinks before they all walked us back to the Summer House (or what they call the "white people" jail)haha!
Wednesday morning at school was ridiculous! For some reason, the kids were OFF THE WALL CRAZY all morning and we could not get them to call down and be quiet. The only thing that worked was when Justin said "do you want to play football?" and of course they all said "Yesss!" and so he just said "...then BE QUIET!" ... I dont think we have ever heard our class that quiet before! haha. So after an hour or so of Brandon, Justin, and I teaching the adjectives we made our way out to the soccer fields to play around a little! I stayed for about a half hour and then left to run some errands before lunch! After lunch, all of the volunteers made our way over to the hospital for our community service project! We cleaned floors in the new annex of the hospital and had a blast with Didase (one of our drivers) who was cracking jokes all day. The other half of the group planted flowers and plants outside and landscaped the whole outside of the building! It was really funny watching all the locals stop and stare at all of us Mzungus doing hard labor! LOL. After leaving the hospital, we all raced back to take showers and have dinner. A few of us went to Hillside after to have a few drinks, and then we stopped by the Art Centre on our way home to say hey to the guys and play with some of the kids!
It's Thursday morning now and I am about to go to school! I only have 2 days left with my kids : ( ... today is our last day to teach because tomorrow we are having a FUN DAY hopefully for our last day! So I'm off to work! I can't believe I only have 2 1/2 days left in Africa...I feel like I just got here! But I will see all of you soon! Hope you are doing well! <3 yall and see you Sunday! Baadaye!

No comments:

Post a Comment